Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Soup O r g @ s m


If such a thing existed, I think I may have had a soup o r g @ s m with this week's soup. I know I say every week how great the soup tastes- but this week's was truly the best! Even DH who said he wasn't interested in a serving upon hearing the ingredients, kept commenting on how good it smelled while being cooked, then said he'd try a spoonful, which then lead to a big bowlful, and then stated it was the best soup I'd made....ever.

In keeping with my theme of February's soup recipes coming from the Food Network, this week's soup is Paula Deen's Poblano Chicken Chowder. Her original recipe serves 12-16 but I cut it down to serve 3-4.

Poblano Chicken Chowder
Serves: 3-4
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/3 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 1/2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 2 sm. poblano peppers, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice (I used 3/4 of a big one)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, or more to taste
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme, or more to taste
1-2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
4 c. chicken broth
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
1 cup diced (large pieces) grilled chicken (I used rotisserie)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, or more to taste
1/4 cup heavy cream or half n half

Step 1: Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the carrots, onions, celery, garlic, poblano peppers, salt, white pepper, cumin, and thyme. Saute for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. The colors and smells were incredible:

Step 2: Stir in the chicken bouillon. Add the chicken broth and cilantro, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the carrots are tender. Stir in the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until the chowder is thick and the chicken is heated through.

Step 3: Shortly before the chowder is done, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes to cook the flour. Do not allow the mixture to brown!

Step 4: Ladle 1/2 cup of the hot liquid from the stockpot into the skillet, whisking constantly. When the first bit of liquid is incorporated, add another cup of liquid. Pour the mixture in the skillet into the stockpot, whisking to blend. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes longer, or until the mixture begins to thicken.

Step 4: Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the hot sauce, then the cream, and serve. I topped my soup with some corn tortilla strips I fried up, chopped heirloom tomatoes along with some cheese quesadillas.
Notes:
  • Watch the amount of cilantro. Too much can really overpower the flavor of the soup and I love cilantro. I ended up scooping more than halve the amount I had originally put and adjusted the amount when posting the ingredients. If you don't like cilantro, it would be fine without it. I kept reminding myself this was a POBLANO chicken chowder and tried to keep that flavor at the forefront.
  • Adjust the amounts of the veggies to meet your tastes. I added more celery and poblano pepper, but less onion. I figured the pepper I had was pretty mild so I used most of the big one shown in the picture. The pepper added a great flavor without being too "hot."
  • The fried tortilla strips are a must!
  • Recipe Reviews

7 Comments:

At 2/17/2008 , Blogger janna said...

This looks WONDERFUL! It would be great on a cold snowy night (we got another 4 inches today). Now if I can just dig my car out to get to the grocery store....

 
At 2/18/2008 , Blogger Michelle said...

Dang, your hubby is one lucky man! Soup=good

 
At 2/18/2008 , Blogger Kaye said...

Oh my, I know exactly what you speak of. I made a cheesey chicken chowder a few weeks ago and had the same reaction.

Hey, thanks to you we're having french onion soup tonite!

 
At 2/18/2008 , Blogger Amanda said...

Just reading the recipe about gave me a soupgasm, I can't imagine how good it was... but will find out soon enough! Thanks for sharing this one!

 
At 2/19/2008 , Blogger dawn said...

this even looked amazing, amy.

i am so making it this weekend.

 
At 2/21/2008 , Blogger Enid said...

Thanks Amy!! This sounds like a good soup. I LURV Paula Deen.

 
At 2/22/2008 , Blogger Amanda said...

I made this the other night and it was amazing! Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home