Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Other O.G. Soup

Souper Saturday #3
Today's recipe is for the other O.G. (not Ol' Gansta, but rather Olive G@rden) Soup-Zuppa Toscana. Most people tend to go for the Pasta Fagioli, but I actually prefer the Zuppa Toscana.

The weather has actually been quite winter-like so this was a perfect choice for our chilly weekend!

The recipe can be found several places and my recipe is a combination of several recipes although they all have the same basic ingredients.

O.G. Zuppa Toscana

Source: Combination of several online recipes

Serves: 6-8 servings (it made A LOT)

Ingredients:

1 lb ground Italian sausage ( I used 1/2 mild and 1/2 hot)
1½ tsp crushed red peppers
1 large diced white onion
4 Tbsp bacon pieces (I used several slices of peppered bacon)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
10 cups low sodium chicken broth ( I swear I should start buying stock in this stuff!)
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
¼ of a bunch of kale

1. Saute Italian sausage (taken out of casing) and crushed red pepper in pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.

(Sophie was hoping something would drop as D.H. helped by peeling the potatoes)

2. In the same pan, saute bacon pieces, onions and garlic for approximately 15 mins. or until the onions are soft. (If you like crisp crunchy bacon I'd fry it up separate and then add the onions/garlic)

3. Add 10 c. chicken broth to the onions, bacon and garlic. Cook until boiling.

4. Add potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.

5. Add heavy cream and cook until thoroughly heated.

6. Stir in the sausage.

7. Add kale just before serving.

I served the soup with some bread sticks. This soup was so hearty and delicious! DH went back for thirds!

6 Comments:

At 1/19/2008 , Blogger Amanda said...

Oh my, that looks delicious!

 
At 1/19/2008 , Blogger Grace said...

the soup looks wonderful, I am fighting a flu bug today and had DH make me chicken soup there is nothing like soup for food for the soul!!

 
At 1/19/2008 , Blogger janna said...

That sounds great!!!

 
At 1/20/2008 , Blogger dawn said...

you had me at bacon.

okay, i lied...you had me at old gangsta.

enjoy your long weekend, miz amy.

 
At 1/20/2008 , Blogger Bezzie said...

And I"m sure it tasted WAY better than the "real" OG soup!

Mmmmmm....anything with that much Italian sausage can't be bad!

 
At 1/26/2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks FANTASTIC. And thanks for the sweet comments you've been leaving - I really appreciate it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home