Sunday, March 09, 2008

My Year in Soup-Week 10

This week's soup was made by DH so you know what that means.
Guy + soup = Chili!

DH made this batch of chili a few days ago and even though he was kind enough to take some photos, it just didn't look all that appetizing while cooking. Everytime I asked him how he made it, I was told a different version (but I think I pretty much got it down) and I questioned the cooking process (good thing I wasn't around at the time); but all I know is that the end result is amazing and he always gets rave reviews.
Soooo here it goes:

Chili
Ingredients:

1 pkg of Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit
8 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 pound "chili " meat-coarse ground beef
1 pound finely chopped "stew" meat
1/2 chopped onion (or more to taste)
2 large cloves garlic, minced (or more to taste)
2 teaspoons ground cumin (or more to taste)
Toppings of choice: sour cream, cheddar cheese, fritos, etc.

Procedure:

1. Saute onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil until onions are transluscent.

2. Add both meats and brown.

3. Once meats are browned, add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Place lid on pot, turn heat down to low and simmer about an hour.

4. Add 2 tsp. cumin, stir and simmer another hour.

5. Add chili mix, 8 ounce can of tomato sauce and 1 cup of water. Stir and simmer about another 30 minutes until it gets to desired consistency.

6. Place in a bowl and add your favorite toppings (s. cream, cheese, etc).

That's it-No beans! Nothing fancy!!

The best thing about his chili is that it can be morphed into so many other things like:

Chili dogs!

Chili Enchiladas!

A friend of mine from work suggested chili and eggs. I thought she was crazy until I was told its a favorite dish at a local restaurant so I tried that too.

It tasted "ok." Not my favorite way to eat chili though.

The best new tip I read about was to add a little bit of pickle juice (or vinegar) to your bowl right before serving and it really jazzed it up! From now on, I'll always top my bowl with a little of the sour stuff.

What's your favorite way to eat chili?




2 Comments:

At 3/09/2008 , Blogger Courtney said...

I love Carroll Shelly's Chili mix. I make a delicious turkey chili with it and I've also used it for a shredded chicken chili and that's good too.

 
At 3/10/2008 , Blogger Bezzie said...

With a big old pan of cornbread!! Now I'm craving chili! Gotta get it all in before the weather turns hot!

In Cincinnati don't they eat chili on spaghetti? Blarg!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home