Monday, May 05, 2008

My Year In Soup-Week 18

I "heart" cilantro!

With today being "Cinco de Mayo" I decided to go with a recipe that had flavors influenced from our neighbor to the south.

Source: Epicurious
Serves: 4-6

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth (reduced from 5 cups since I added the liquid from the tomatoes)
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes (I used a 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes, undrained)
1/2 + bunch fresh cilantro sprigs, tied together with kitchen string.

1/4 + cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
Sour cream

1. Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Add chili powder; stir 1 minute.
3. Add chicken; stir 2 minutes.
4. Add broth, corn, tomatoes and 1/2 bunch cilantro sprigs to saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Discard cilantro sprigs. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill. Bring to simmer before continuing.)

5. Add chopped cilantro and lime juice to soup. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Garnish with sour cream.


My notes:
  • Wow, I was really shocked as to how this soup looked finished-very red and rustic. I thought it would be more of a clear-based soup but my use of the canned tomatoes and liquid really added some color. The taste is a-ma-zing!
  • I poached some chicken the day before, but rotisserie chicken would work well too.
  • Some of the reviewers suggested adding cumin and oregano to the chili powder. I lucked out and found some "San Antonio Chili Powder Fiesta Blend" which consisted of chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic and oregano in the bulk section at my favorite grocery store. The flavor and scent this let off while cooking was incredible!
  • I also added more lime juice and cilantro as recommended. The amounts are reflected in my ingredients.
  • When you read the reviews you will find lots of other suggestions but I tried to stay true to the original recipe. It wouldn't take too much to turn this into a "tortilla soup."
  • mmmmmm...delicious!

1 Comments:

At 5/05/2008 , Blogger Kaye said...

Mmmm....DELISH! But then again, I can't remember when you had a soup post that I didn't think that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home