Sunday, April 06, 2008

My Year In Soup-Week 14

Today's soup is my first attempt at recreating my all-time favorite can soup, Campbell's Bean With Bacon Soup.

It wasn't quite the taste I'm looking for, but it would be "ok" in a pinch and would taste great with some cornbread. Needless to say, I'm still on the lookout for a good clone of the canned soup.

Here's the original recipe, and as always, I've made some changes based on reviews.

Bean and Bacon Soup
PREP TIME 5 Min
COOK TIME 10 Min
READY IN 15 Min
SERVES 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 (15 ounce) can ranch-style beans
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 6 thick slices bacon, cooked and cubed ( I used pre-cooked bacon pieces)
  • Based on reviews, I also added some: hickory liquid smoke, garlic powder, and pepper.
DIRECTIONS
Saute onions in a bit of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the beans, tomato sauce, chicken stock and onions. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
Using a potato masher, carefully mash some of the beans in the soup to make it a little thicker, if desired. Add the bacon and serve.My Notes:
  • I'd fry up bacon next time and cook the soup in the same pan as the bacon (after taking the fat out.
  • It tasted better the longer it simmered, can hardly wait to try it tomorrow.
  • I wouldn't go out of my way to buy the ingredients for this, but it's a hearty and cheap soup if you're raiding the pantry!

5 Comments:

At 4/06/2008 , Blogger janna said...

When I was in college, one of my roommates always wanted Bean with Bacon soup when she was sick. That seemed odd to me, but I do like it when I'm not sick! (I prefer Chicken Noodle when I don't feel good.)

 
At 4/07/2008 , Blogger Bezzie said...

I'll have to steal this for hub. That Campbell's B&B soup is his fave and so freaking expensive!

 
At 4/07/2008 , Blogger J said...

I like to eat Campbell's BwB soup with saltine crackers crumbled on top. Thanks for the recipe!

 
At 4/08/2008 , Blogger dawn said...

bacon.

yum, this looks good!!!

 
At 4/11/2008 , Blogger Amanda said...

All of these soups make me want to eat my computer.

:)
Amanda

p.s. the italian wedding soup gets a rave review in my house. THANKS!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home