Monday, May 12, 2008

My Year In Soup-Week 19

Pickles!!!!

I love, love love pickles-sweet, dill, sour, bread and butter, spicy-you name I love it! My nieces know for Thanksgiving to make a separate pickle tray for just me! It would only make sense in this soup-filled year to make a Pickle Soup. After searching the web, I decided on this recipe from What's Cooking America with a few minor changes. My amounts serves 3.

Dill Pickle Soup

Source: What's Cooking America
Serves: 3

Ingredients:

1/2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup plus 1/2 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups water (I used chicken stock instead)
3/4 cup dill pickle juice
1 teaspoons dried dill weed, crushed
1/4 cup heavy cream, whipping cream or milk (I used half and half)
Salt and white pepper to taste
1 large dill pickle, cut julienne

In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and sauté until soft. Add white wine and continue cooking until almost all liquid evaporates. Reduce heat to low and stir in flour (do not brown). Add water(broth) and pickle juice, whisking or stirring into onion mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until soup slightly thickens. Add dill weed.

Stir in whipping cream or milk; season with salt and white pepper to taste. Remove from heat. Serve in individual soup bowls and garnish with julienne dill pickle.

My Notes:
  • I was pretty skeptical of this recipe at first, it really surprised me as to how tasty it was!
  • I didn't care for the pickle garnish though and ended up taking the julienned pickles out. I guess it's a texture thing. Next time I might try to chopped them into tiny bits or just chomp on a pickle while eating the soup.
  • I served this with a summer sausage sandwich and it was a perfect match!
  • Don't let the name scare you, it really was good soup and worthy of making again!
Also:
It shouldn't be surprising that I'm addicted to these too!

Frozen pickle juice...mmmmmmm....very refreshing and addicting! I've already got 4 people at work addicted to them too!

3 Comments:

At 5/12/2008 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Hm, I love pickles, but I'm not sure about those pickle sickles. The soup, yes, but sickles? Hmmmm....

 
At 5/12/2008 , Blogger janna said...

I like pickles, too, but I'm not sure about eith the soup OR the frozen pickles....

 
At 5/14/2008 , Blogger Michelle said...

Frozen pickle juice? Really? Okay, I must know. I'm on the prowl for it.

That soup sounds mighty tasty and like nothing I've never heard of. I'll have to give it a go.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home