Thursday, January 03, 2008

Granny's Recipe Box

In response to The Grandma Mabel Memorial Recipe Box Show & Tell Contest I decided to enter and dedicate a posting to the recipes I inherited from my grandmother.

When Granny died a few years back, Mom asked if there was anything special of hers I wanted to have, so I asked about her recipes. Luckily no one else had asked for them so they were mine. I don't think the boxes themselves have too much of a story other than the fact they are old. I did find out that the wooden box was decoupaged (with owls) by my grandfather at a time when my aunt said if you stood too long, you got decoupaged.

Inside the boxes are, I swear, 3000 recipes in two main foods groups: desserts and casseroles. Granny sure did have a sweet tooth for a diabetic!


One of the recipes that stood out to me was this one for "Best Ever Sugar Cookies" with 4 "stars."

I cracked up when I stumbled upon this "recipe" for clean windows:

Tips for Clean Windows
  • Cloudy day to wash
  • Up & Down motion
  • Newspapers to wipe with
To a bucket of water add 1/2 c. ammonia, 1/2 c. vinegar, and 2 T. cornstarch

In addition to the recipe boxes I was given a few of her cookbooks. One of the frustrating things was that several of the old "church" or community cookbooks didn't have any dates. One of my favorite finds was an old composition book that she had dated 1947 filled some handwritten recipes. I love it!

Being the "foodie" I am, I feel so lucky to have these links to the past.

4 Comments:

At 1/04/2008 , Blogger dawn said...

what an amazing score!
amy, the decoupaging rocks.

 
At 1/04/2008 , Blogger janna said...

It's so great that you got your granny's actual recipe boxes! I think I remember the "if you stood still, you got decoupaged" era. Somewhere, there's a picture of me from about 2nd grade decoupaged onto a piece of wood!

 
At 1/04/2008 , Blogger Courtney said...

The newspaper thing really works for windows. A tidy house guest once washed the great big picture window of the house I lived in at the time and wiped it with newspaper and it was never so clean or streak free.

 
At 1/04/2008 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Ha ha, I love that your grandma "rated" the recipe. We do that at our house, except we're a bit more profane in that we'll write "This recipe kicks @ss" in the margin.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home