Wednesday, December 19, 2007

It's the Little Things

Sometimes, it's the little things that make me the happiest..
For example, we have this awesome family at my school that comes and decorates our teachers lounge for each holiday. They usually only leave the decorations up for 1 day and always bring lots of treats for us to snack on all day. Here's what they did for the upcoming holidays:


To my delight, they had these up last Friday so we could enjoy them all this week. You can't help but smile every time you walk in to the room.

Speaking of "the little things," I was thinking about all the stress that goes in to buying people the "perfect gift" and realized how surprised some people might be at the truly inexpensive things I'd much rather open on Christmas morning than the 12th bottle of lotion in a scent I really don't care for or perfume I'll never wear. It's not that I don't like lotions of perfumes, but I really have become picky in my old age.

Things such as:
  • Christmas Captain Crunch-I love this cereal(I'll eat it for any of my meals) in its regular form and eat it til it takes the roof of my mouth off. But for some reason, I can't seem to locate a box of the holiday version. Let me know if you see it anywhere!
  • Post-Its-I'm addicted!! I love different sizes, shapes and colors.
  • Pens-especially with purple ink, or just purple in make.
  • Instant hot beverages (hot chocolate, coffee, tea)
  • Any homemade food item (or those local to the area)- jams, jellies, salsas, bread, muffins-whatever! A loaf of homemade bread with a jar of homemade jam would rock my world!!
What's something surprisingly cheap that you'd like to receive as a gift?

ETA: Please know I really do appreciate the thought in the giving of the gift but am TRULY happy with just a card. I just hate the stress that I see people going through to buy gifts and the guilt I feel if I don't look like I love it enough...ugh...

6 Comments:

At 12/19/2007 , Blogger Grace said...

I love note pads, and tea, definitely tea, I agree anything homemade is wonderful, bread, rolls, cookies, I love seasonal items, a tiny santa, a heart shaped box, a stone with word love or faith, or hope etched in it. I love socks even store bought ones, all of these would thrill me to no end. Soduku puzzle books, and empty journals too

 
At 12/19/2007 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh man I ODed on CC as a kid, but if I'll see if they're selling the holiday stuff when I go grocery shopping this weekend. Hee hee!

What a cool little decorating gift that family give y'all!!! Not a bad representation of snow for people who hardly ever see it! ;-)

 
At 12/19/2007 , Blogger janna said...

You know, the family that decorates your lounge (which is wonderful!) is an example of giving a non-traditional gift from the heart. I think anything made by hand is extra-special.

 
At 12/19/2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore cool pens in colors like green and purple. I am also addicted to post-it notes. I have to have all the different colors and sizes.

The lounge looks great. We had our holiday snack buffet provided by the office staff this week. They made all of the food and decorated the conference room. A simple gift, but one that is truly appreciated.

Only 2 days left -wahoo!!

 
At 12/20/2007 , Blogger dawn said...

yup.
tea, pens, lipgloss, etc.

the Rs do such a fantastic job of decorating. i can't get over how they even do the cabinet fronts, perfectly measured for the insets...and of course, they are spot on with the 'good' list being on the girls' bathroom. :)

hope hubby is feeling better today.

 
At 12/24/2007 , Blogger Enid said...

stress... no joke. i think we judge ourselves to harshly and don't realize that perhaps they would enjoy any gift that you presented them with.

Your right, it's the little things.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home