Sunday, July 01, 2007

Knee Deep in Receipts

I'm finally finished with my month-long traveling/workshop adventure. I got back to San Antonio Friday night after spending the week in Dallas attending a conference with 4,000+ other teachers, including 8 people from my school. It was a quite an experience and had lots of practice with being patient...sigh...

There were people EVERYWHERE, it rained everyday (I didn't bring an umbrella) and the trying to coordinate lunch/dinner plans with 8 other people in addition to all the traveling involved with my sessions for 5 days started to become challenging. Evidentally not everyone is an earlybird like me or even on time!! I was staying at"Hotel A" would have to take a shuttle bus to go to my morning session at "Hotel "B" and then take another shuttle bus to go to the Dallas Conference Center for our afternoon sessions. The conference was so huge that they had the morning and afternoon sessions at 6 different locations.

In the end I learned lots, met some REALLY interesting teachers from other states and really fell in love with Dallas. I also lucked out by having a great roommate for the trip.

Although we had shuttle buses to get us to our various locations, we also maneuvered our way around using the DART system (especially when it came to finding places to eat dinner). I sure wish San Antonio would get something like this!



We stayed at this fabulous hotel and even found time to zip up the tower and enjoy the incredible skyline.

Our days were pretty well booked, my shuttle bus left at 7:00 a.m. for my morning session, and our afternoon sessions usually ended around 5 p.m. It didn't leave much time for sight seeing although a few of us from my school used a long lunch one day to go to the 6th Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza . It was something to see in person these places that have been talked about so much in the media.

I am so glad to be home and finally officially on vacation. Tomorrow I have to turn in all my receipts from last week (which are stuffed everywhere and in no particular order) so I can get reimbursed for "incidentals".

I didn't get any knitting done or was able to visit any yarn shops up in Dallas (although I bought plenty of yarn while up in MN). I'm looking forward to getting back in to my knitting niche.

3 Comments:

At 7/02/2007 , Blogger Enid said...

Glad your back home and on your vacation, finally.

Well, I wish SA had a system like that as well, instead of these toll roads they are thinking about putting up. I tought I heard buzz somewhere they were thinking of something like this though. meh..who knows.

I was thinking of taking a trip to AZ on Amtrak. But I'm going to postpone one more year. but maybe a trip to houston on amtrak or austin that would be kind of cool to just test out for one day. I priced, i'm not sure if it's worth it.

Well I miss ya bunches.

 
At 7/02/2007 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Dallas is nice isn't it?? I met my aunt up there for a weekend for a convention she was in town for. I couldn't believe I was still in Texas ;-)!

 
At 7/05/2007 , Blogger Michelle said...

SoCA has a train system too and it's pure genius. I agree that SA needs one too! Especially in such a large city.

Your conference sounds quite involved, but so interesting. I'm glad you're back safely.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home