Thursday, August 16, 2007

All in A Wet Day's Work



Tropical Storm/Depression Erin finally arrived in her rain and windy glory this morning. According to the news @ noon the airport had only received 6/10 inch of rain at that point, but I know at my house we received much more and will continue to do so in the next day or so.

Check out our make-shift rain gauge just after an hour's worth of rain (at least an inch).

It seems like whenever we get weather that traps me indoors (and out of stores) I get bit by the cooking bug. So last night I made spaghetti and meatballs from scratch using a family recipe from Mary-mmmmmmm. She brought some to a knitting get together we had last December and was soooooo good!!

This morning I made some Banana-Macadamia Nut Bread, fruit salad, and a poppy seed dressing.



The banana bread is actually made from a muffin recipe that I just put in small loaf pans and then baked at 350 for about 45 minutes.

The fruit salad was just made up of fruit that looked halfway decent in the store. The poppy seed dressing is yummy and came from a friend who got it from a country club in Houston. This dressing would be wonderful on a spinach salad too!

Poppy Seed Dressing
Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. white vinegar
3 T. onion juice (you can find it in the spice aisle)
2 c. vegetable oil
3 T. poppy seeds

Mix sugar, dry mustard, salt and vinegar together and then add onion juice. Use electric mixer on medium and slowly add oil. Then add poppy seeds.
It makes a little more than 3 cups and will keep 2-3 months as long as it's stored in the fridge. I like to keep mine stored in a mason jar (helps for remixing when needed) and in the door of the fridge where it won't "freeze." My fridge has these cold spots where things tend to freeze.

And, since this is a knitting blog, here's an update on my hedgie:
I've started the fur on his/her back (picking up the stitches all around was a major pain!!!!). Now I'm ready to get started on the short rows for more back fur. DH looked at it and thought it looked like a bug...sigh.....



3 Comments:

At 8/16/2007 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Meh, what do boys know? It looks like a hedgehog to me!

Well on the plus side I'll bet all that rain is keeping the ants away huh???

 
At 8/16/2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always want to cook when I'm trapped indoors, too. I'm also always missing one ingrdient. It's a frustrating combination.

 
At 8/19/2007 , Blogger Enid said...

YUMMY!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home