Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Shift Happens

I've seen this slide show a few times-most recently at a faculty meeting. Go ahead, take a look.



I'm amazed at the amount of technology my students have incorporated into their everyday life. It really is something to see the cell phones, ipods, and other similar type devices whipped out at the end of the day. I can't help but wonder what technology is going to be like in 10, 15, 20 years and the effect it will have on careers (mine included) and the academic needs of the students.

What are your thoughts?

4 Comments:

At 11/14/2007 , Blogger Coarine said...

Amazing! I just had a meeting with my son’s teacher today and she was talking about how all the kids in her class are having trouble writing. She was saying it’s because they don’t teach parts of speech etc … But at 9 my son can do math that I was learning in 7th & 8th grade.

I think society is making kids grow up too fast.

 
At 11/15/2007 , Blogger Enid said...

I think that is the whole point of this presentation. But the world is shifting to a different kind of technological future somehow we need to prepare our kids for it. Apparently what we've learned while we were going to school isn't going to be enough for what the future awaits these kids. I wish I could get this into my teenagers thick skull. She's fifteen and has the whole world figured out.
Does matter what you do in life as long as your happy right? Don't need algebra, I'M going to be a fabulous hairdresser.

arrgh

 
At 11/16/2007 , Blogger Michelle said...

Ugh, I wish the Internet had something to offer kids that actually stimulates the prefrontal cortex. MySpace at least allows them to be creative, but it doesn't do a darned thing to teach them effective communication.

Plenty of things enter the mainstream and become necessities for kids, after starting out as niceties for us. Kids need to spend more time just being kids and go outside and play.

 
At 12/15/2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Kids need to spend more time just being kids and go outside and play."

That would be lovely... but they won't be doing that. So how can we best help them given the status quo?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home