Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Tis the Season

One of my favorite holiday type tv shows was on tonight-A Charlie Brown Christmas. I don't know what it is about that show, but every year I go will go out of my way to watch it. It was made in 1965 and it's amazing to me that it's still shown on TV. I wonder how many of my students will watch it, while I remember it being as much a part of the holidays as putting up a tree.

I also have favorite commercials for this time of year. One of my all-time favorite is this 1986 Folgers commerical.

I also love the "beverage" commercial with the Clydesdales pulling a wagon with the snow falling in the background.

What I don't care for are the over-the-top jewelry and car ads this time of year-they just make me gag. I would not be happy with being gifted with a brand new car payment or a necklace far too fancy for my taste. Just give me free reign to buy my knitting paraphernalia and I'm a happy girl. Dh knows by now it's best to "stick to the list" rather than risk spending money on something I'm not going to really love or want and vice versa.

I also enjoy seeing holiday themed episodes for my favorite TV shows. Friends always had some good Thanksgiving/Christmas moments(Joey wearing Santa pants for Turkey dinner still cracks me up). I also loved the episode of Will & Grace where they go to their various family houses as a group and only spend an hour there and when the bell goes off-even mid sentence they leave.

As for movies, I always watch It's a Wonderful Life at least once and have now added Elf to my holiday movie repertoire.

What are some of your favorites?

5 Comments:

At 11/28/2007 , Blogger janna said...

I love that Folger's commercial, too. I wonder if they'll show it this year -- I'm pretty sure it was used last year.

I also love White Christmas and Holiday Inn (although it's not technically just about Christmas). I own both of them, as well as It's a Wonderful Life, so I can watch them all year round!

 
At 11/28/2007 , Blogger coastergirl said...

i added my list to my blog! Janna - those are also two of my favorites as well - Bing Crosby...hmm might have to add them to my list!

 
At 11/28/2007 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Elf is definately a favorite. Now that we can go to those places in NYC it's even cooler for us!

I also love Christmas Vacation and Planes, Trains & Automobiles--although that one is more Thanksgiving-y than Christmas-y.

 
At 11/28/2007 , Blogger Courtney said...

That Folger's commercial is great. I love the big glasses and the hairdos the most.

 
At 11/30/2007 , Blogger ZaftigWendy said...

You just had to go and make me cry, didn't you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home