Saturday, January 12, 2008

Souper Saturday #2

It's Saturday, which means it's time for an entry about soup! But before I get started with this week's soup, I'd like to showcase some "Soup Sightings" I stumbled upon this week:
1. Bezzie made this awesome looking German Style Potato Soup.

2. Mel made some Easy Pressure Cooker Garbanzo Stew along with some Maple Walnut Spelt Bread. The stew and bread looked amazing! I came across Mel's site after reading about Phoebe (and then donating) when I was at Scout's site (ordering some knitting stuff). Phoebe updates are here and here.

Soup of the week:
Butternut Squash Soup
  • This is one of my favorite cookbooks! A "must-have" for your favorite cook!
Time: About an hour total (I'm the world's slowest chopper so it took me a little bit longer).

Serves : 4 (I halved the original recipe in the book, the measurements below serve 4)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1 1/2 pounds butternut squash ( 1 med. sized one), peeled (using a vegetable peeler), seeded, and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 sprigs thyme (I used a few pinches of dried thyme)
Pinch nutmeg
1/4 c. heavy cream
salt and pepper

Procedure:
1. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened (about 5 minutes). Stir in the squash, broth, thyme, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the squash is tender, 20-25 minutes.
2. Remove the thyme sprigs (ignore if used dried thyme) and puree soup in batches in a blender (or food processor) until smooth.
3. Return pureed soup to the pot. Stir in the cream. Bring to a brief simmer, then remove from the heat. If the soup seems too thick, thin it out with additional broth or water. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving. Sprinkle individual servings with more nutmeg if desired.
Notes:
  • This was awesome!! Much better than I expected! I was stuffed after a cup of this-very filling!
  • I topped my serving with some homemade croutons.
  • This soup can be prepared through Step 2, cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 2 months. Reheat over low heat, adding additional water or broth to adjust the consistency, before proceeding to step three.
  • I think the cream could be substituted with a dollop of s. cream to a bowl of the pureed soup.

3 Comments:

At 1/13/2008 , Blogger dawn said...

i am adding a butternut squash to my shopping list. this looks yummers.

 
At 1/13/2008 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Mmmmm...that looks good! I'm not a big squash person, but that's very tempting!

 
At 1/13/2008 , Blogger Amanda said...

After reading your Souper Saturday post last week, I decided to make soup yesterday. We must have been on the same wavelength because I made butternut squash soup as well!
(except I roasted the squash and used dried chipotle pepper instead of nutmeg). It was delicious, thanks for the idea!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home