Monday, June 09, 2008

Summertime Melon Soup

The inspiration for my 23rd soup of the year came from one those mini-cooking magazines at the grocery store check-out stand. It was a Taste of Home, Summer Appetizers edition. I'm such a sucker for those things!

Summertime Melon Soup


Source: Taste of Home mini-magazine: Summer Appetizers
Serves: 3-4 (I halved the original recipe)

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups seeded cubed watermelon
1 cup fresh strawberries
2 tablespoons sour cream (I used low-fat and it tasted just fine)
1 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 to 2 cantaloupes, optional
Additional fresh strawberries, optional

Directions:

Combine watermelon and strawberries. Puree in batches in a blender or food processor, adding sour cream, milk and sugar to the last batch. Pour into a 1-qt. container; mix well. Cover and chill at least 3 hours.

To serve soup in cantaloupe bowls, cut cantaloupes in half; hollow out melon and seeds, leaving about a 1-1/2-in shell. Cut a decorative edge if desired. Add soup; garnish with a strawberry if desired.

I plan on having the "soup" with a muffin or two for breakfast for the next few days.


Mmmmmmm..Buttermilk Berry Muffins

Note: One soup I won't be making from the magazine is the Icy Olive Soup-blech! But it was filled with many other delightful recipes.

3 Comments:

At 6/09/2008 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Dear mother of Fatzah--that looks delish! I've got my sister's blog open where she's talking about her new smoothie maker--I'll bet this recipe would be great for her.

 
At 6/09/2008 , Blogger Amysatx said...

You're right! I was thinking the same thing as I was tasting it. Add some ice and blend and you've got a great smoothie!

 
At 6/10/2008 , Blogger janna said...

Yes! I was just thinking -- smoothie! Of course, I never make my own. I miss that smoothie place at North Star....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home