Sunday, June 01, 2008

Tomato Soup with Herbs and Wine

ETA:  It occurred to me as I was putting everything away that this soup is VERY similar to la Madeleine's Tomato Basil soup.



My 22nd soup recipe for the year was found in the local newspaper a few weeks ago. Every Wednesday there is a "Taste" section which focuses on food/restaurants. This particular week there was a big article on herb gardens with some accompanying recipes. I was drawn to this recipe mainly because the herbs used (thyme and basil) were found in my herb garden. For some reason, both herbs are going crazy with growth this year. I can barely keep up with the basil.


This recipe is also significant in that it's my last week of soup lunch for work until the end of August. Students are done on Wednesday, teachers on Thursday-woo hoo!

If you like that creamy tomato flavor, this is the recipe for you!

Tomato Soup with Herbs and Wine

Source: San Antonio Express News- adapted from Southern Herb Growing by Madalene Hill and Gwen Barclay

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled, or canned tomatoes
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon thyme OR other culinary thyme
1 tablespoon fresh basil OR 1 teaspoon dried basil
Pinch of pepper
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup fat-free half-and-half
½ cup dry white wine

1-2 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs, such as slivered basil, thyme leaf, parsley, for garnish

Procedure:
1. If using fresh tomatoes, chop and simmer in saucepan with butter until soft. Cool slightly, then purée or blend. Return to saucepan. If using canned tomatoes, blend, then place in saucepan with butter and heat until warm.

2. Stir flour into ¼ cup water, then add to tomatoes, stirring.

3. Then add salt, lemon thyme, basil and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

4. Stir in soda and fat-free half-and-half. Cook over low heat until slightly thickened. Do not boil. Stir in dry wine and heat to simmer; let simmer 15-20 minutes. I couldn't wait the 15 minutes and had some after about 5 minutes-it was wonderful!!!

5. Serve in cups, sprinkling more fresh herbs on top for garnish.

Makes 6 (1/2-cup) servings. Approximate nutritional values per serving: 130 calories (58.9 percent calories from fat), 2 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate, 3 g sugar, 1 g dietary fiber, 8 g fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 660 mg sodium.


My Notes:
  • This recipe came together pretty quick and was a nice break from the sauteing of garlic/onions.
  • I made the recipe as is quantity-wise and it made enough for 1 bowl immediately and leftovers for 3 lunches during the week.
  • I used 2 c. canned diced tomatoes(drained), regular thyme from my garden, and squeezed some lemon juice in for that flavor.
  • To lighten it up: Use 1 tablespoon instead of 2 tablespoons butter and save 10 calories and 1 g fat per serving. I'd probably add more tomatoes and less cream next time to make it a bit healthier and not so creamy.
  • This just begs to be eaten with grilled cheese, but I made some pimento cheese sandwiches. Recipe also found in the same section-same week.
  • Many of my soup recipes call for wine and since I only like a glass now and then, I've started buying the mini-bottles in the 4 packs which works great for recipes like this.

1 Comments:

At 6/02/2008 , Blogger Courtney said...

That soup looks and sounds very good to me. I love the tomato soup at La Madeleine!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home