Thursday, August 06, 2009

Farmer's Market Lunch


One of the things on my list to do was to find a way to use up all my Farmers Market tomatoes along with some other veggies. Boy, did I find a recipe!

It's a very simple recipe, but oh so good! I ended up making Roasted Tomato Soup and served it with a Veggie & Cheese Bagel.

First off, the soup. Here's my version (I made a few changes from the original recipe based on the reviews).


Slice tomatoes (farmers market/home grown are the best), peel some garlic (put a few more cloves than you think you'll need), and slice an onion or two. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle on some kosher salt and roast in a shallow pan at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes, until veggies are carmelized. (Note: I was glad I put some extra garlic cloves in because a few of mine got burned and had to be tossed).


Place veggies in a stock pot along with some bay leaves, chicken stock (save some for adding later), herbs (I used some rosemary and thyme from my herb garden) and some butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Strain out the herb stems and bay leaves. Use an immersion blender and puree the soup til smooth. Add more chicken stock if needed to thin it out. Return soup to low heat. You can also add some cream right before serving if you want a creamy taste. Even my husband who does not care for tomato soup, LOVED this!! He heated some up for a midnight snack!!

Now for the sandwich.


I pretty much followed the Pioneer Woman's recipe except I left out the avocado (didn't have one on hand) and used onion & chive cream cheese instead of the green onion one she made.

Put it together and viola! You have a Farmer's Market lunch!

1 Comments:

At 8/06/2009 , Blogger Bezzie said...

OH man, those tomatoes would have never made it far enough into a soup at my house! MMMM....I'd eat em plain and raw!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home