Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Starry Starry Night

I do love structure...routine..lists...order..
My carefree days of summer vacation were balanced well with knitting projects comprised of highlighted charts or involved patterns.
Throw in the newly routined, highly-structured days at the beginning of the school year, and even my brain needed a break.
Enter Art Yarn.
I have to say in the past I would often "not get" art yarn and its randomness made my head hurt. Since the start of the school year, I had absolutely no desire to sit and fiddle with a pattern and knew I was ready for knitting to be "fun" again, rather than a mental challenge.
I stumbled on some art yarn through Ravelry/Etsy inspired by Van Gogh's Starry Starry Night and I was hooked! I had to have some!


There's not a whole lot of it (120 yds) but enough to make a decent scarf. I'm just trying to find the right stitch that will require minimal thought and show off the beauty/funkiness of the yarn. I tried St st and even with knitting the first 2 and last 2 sts in each row, still curled. Any other suggestions?

Crockpot Sunday Update:


NFL Week 2 had me making some beef stroganoff in the crockpot.
Source: Fix it and Forget It Lightly
Beef Stroganoff
(mine wasn't the "light" version since I just used the full fat versions of soup/sour cream)
  • 1 1/2 lbs. lean beef stewing meat, trimmed of fat
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 lb. fresh mushrooms
  • 10 3/4-oz can 98% Fat Free cream of mushroom soup (I used regular)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup Fat Free sour cream (I used regular)
1. I floured and then seared the pieces of beef, then deglazed the pan with some white wine and combined with the rest of ingredients(except sour cream) in a 4 quart crockpot. You could skip the sear of the meat and just combine all ingredients (except sour cream) and add to crock pot.
2. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
3. Stir in sour cream.
4. Cook on high for a few minutes to heat sour cream.
5. Serve over egg noodles along with some crusty bread to mop up the sauce.

Serves 4-6

My notes:
  • I know my version was not so "light" (I just used what I had on-hand) but was very good!
  • I added more garlic than it called for and next time would use about half as much mushrooms and a little more beef. But add/reduce to your personal tastes!
  • It was delicious and reheated 2 days later quite well!

2 Comments:

At 9/24/2009 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Love that yarn! They nailed it!

Mmm...crockpot stroganoff is delish! I make the full fat type too!

 
At 9/24/2009 , Blogger janna said...

I love stroganoff - I'm going to have to try this! (My verification word is 'moomble' -- when a cow mumbles, I think!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home