Sunday, August 16, 2009

E.W.W.

What do erasers, a dpn, yarn, and a MD's coupon all have in common?

They are the supplies I use when knitting up my latest project, the Every Way Wrap or E.W.W. for short.

Every time I get an IK issue, I pour over it making comments on the different projects-some good some bad. Every once in awhile a project will jump out at me that I really like, I'll add it to my queue and then forget about it. The E.W.W. was different, I found myself flipping back to the page and really liking it and realizing I could use yarn from my stash-Bonus- and decided to go with the momentum and cast on immediately, dropping all other W.I.P.'s. Here's what it looks like after the ribbing and 3 repeats of the chart pattern. BTW there is an error on the chart in the magazine. Errata is here.


I'm pleased so far, even with my unintentional design flaws/features. I think this is a pattern that looks even better knit up. After bringing it to SNB last week I think a few more people may even want to knit it.

I'm only planning on using mine as a wrap and not do the button thing in the back-buttons do not belong on my butt. The Knit Picks Comfy Worsted yarn I'm using is super soft-I love it!

How do my supplies help? Well, the erasers I use as counters for which repeat I'm on within the row (although I'm not using them as much now as I was in the beginning), and the dpn I'm using as my cable needle. I tried one of the metal cable needles and didn't care for it and with this being my first time with cables didn't want to try and mess with doing it without the cable needle.

The coupon I use for keeping track of which row I'm on the chart. When I started working on the chart I remembered these cute pattern tamers I bought awhile ago and decided to try them out.

The middle one is the right size for my pattern. Notice anything?

Maybe this will help:

Why would a person put that type of fabric for something to be used with a chart. Confusing! When I pointed this out to DH he offered to spray paint it, so now it looks like this:

Which is much better, but I still prefer my MD coupon or the back of an envelope. Live and learn I guess.

I have to say it's been really fun being one of the early knitters on Rav with this pattern and immediately acting on that initial thought of "I want to knit this!"

4 Comments:

At 8/16/2009 , Blogger Bezzie said...

That's a very cool wrap. I don't know if I'd ever be able to wear it right though. I'd probably look like one giant handknit mess!

I can never get my pattern tamers to advance right. They want to jump up a bit too far on the chart when I move them--if that makes sense.

 
At 8/17/2009 , Blogger janna said...

I can't believe you're not using highlighter tape to track your rows! You're the one who bought it for me!

You're really making good progress, though, with or without the highlighter tape.

 
At 8/17/2009 , Blogger Grace said...

I hope to make that too, I have to get a copy of the magazine, love the color you are using, and I have those magnet strips but tend to use the highlighter tape for my charts!

 
At 8/20/2009 , Blogger Brenda said...

I have that pattern bookmarked too! Thanks for sharing your tips... and the fact that there's a correction to the pattern. I always forget to check for those. Personally, I use post-it notes to keep track of my row on a chart. Sometimes, the stickiness wears off, so I have to be sure to change them before they fall off and I lose my place.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home