Thursday, August 03, 2006

When a Foodie goes to an Outlet mall

Yes, in addition to being a "knitter"-small k; I am also a "foodie." B.K.(before knitting) I had been known to pour over recipe books and magazines finding new recipes to try (my DH learned to fear these episodes). Now, my "new recipe" meals have decreased(interferes with knitting time) but I still love checking out the gourmet food stores at the outlet mall. So here's my foodie stash from today's shopping trip:

At Le Gourmet Chef I bought 2 jars of "ina's favorite bbq sauce" (FoodTV's Barefoot Contessa), 3 jars of Rothschild's Farm Dirty Martini Dip, 2 pkgs of chocolate cookie cones, and 2 little whisky things. The bbq sauce was not cheap-nearly $7.00 for a 10 oz bottle, but I had to check it out being the Ina Garten fan I am. The Dirty Martini Dip was something I sampled during my last visit to the store and loved. My mom and I even tried to recreate the dip but it just didn't compare so I broke down and bought some-it's yummy!! The cones were for DH who had been asking for cones made of oreos and that's what these pretty much are...These were 1/2 price and worth it!!! The little whisky thing was cute..so I bought 2.

At the Le Creuset store I had decided not to add to my pot/pan collection and instead got a food chopper(my P@mpered Chef one is missing a piece) and silicone brush thingy that I had been wanting.

My foodie stash was complete with 2 cookbooks purchased at the Borders Outlet store that I absoultely did not need about appetizers and finger foods.

While in MN I was introduced to Mavis's Salad Dressing (Mavis is a good friend of my mom's). It was served with our salad at every meal..in a sippy cup. Mom says she loves this dressing because "you can pronounce all the ingredients"and probably already have everything in your cupboard. The sippy cup makes for easy mixing and serving-plus a good conversation piece at the table. I LOVED it and made it for our dinner with SIL last night and she loved it too...It's a sweet/sour type dressing and the sugar could easily be reduced or replaced with Spenda.


Mavis' Salad Dressing

1 tsp salt
1 tsp tobasco
dash pepper
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar (I used champagne vinegar)
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 c. oil

Mix all ingredients in a sippy cup (or other container of choice) and serve.

I also decided to include a picture of my new favorite wine. It was sweet and went down smooth..and fast...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home