Sunday, April 15, 2007

I'm a Sock Knitter!

Yay! I FINALLY finished my first pair of socks!

It's hard to believe what started out as this:


Turned in to this:


Of course I had a few bumps along the way like a garter ridge that somehow appeared right below the cuff on the front of the sock. Frogging is good for the soul. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.


I used this pattern so I could refer to the online video tutorials (and the show I recorded) frequently. I also thought the use of bigger needles and thicker yarn would be a good idea for a first pair.And because I'm nutty like that-I had to use the exact yarn-with the help of Eb@y- that was used on the show (at least for the first pair).



I loved knitting the socks and feel like they are just big comfy "hugs" for my feet.


Here are the basics:

Pattern: Basic Sock Pattern
Yarn: 2 balls Berroco Pleasure(130 yds/120 m per 50g ball; 66 percent Angora, 29 percent Merino wool, 5 percent nylon)

Needles: Crystal Palace Bamboo DPNs; Size 7

Notes:
First sock took 3 weeks(lots of frogging), second sock took 6 1/2 days.
The yarn was great to knit with and makes a warm cozy "slipper-type" sock.
Now I see why people take such detailed notes. I didn't write a thing down so my 2nd sock is a bit bigger than my first sock.
My least favorite part of sock knitting is picking up the stitches-I have such anxiety that one side will have more stitches than the other!
I didn't care for the toe I used in this particular pattern (decreasing down to 8 sts) and am eager to try a new technique.
I just made the pattern "as is" and hoped they would fit my feet. They do-barely. Before I knit my next pair, I'll have to do some measuring so I can get the fit "just right."

One of my SnB buddies commented that knitting socks is like eating potato chips-Addictive! You can't stop at just one!
I agree!!

10 Comments:

At 4/15/2007 , Blogger Emma said...

Congrats on finishing your socks! You'll be cranking them out in no time. The wide range of sock yarns out there are part of the addiction, as I'm sure you'll find out!

 
At 4/15/2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Have you picked your next pair yet?

 
At 4/15/2007 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Yup! It's all downhill from here! Way to go!!

 
At 4/15/2007 , Blogger janna said...

Hurray! I knew you could do it!

 
At 4/15/2007 , Blogger Kim said...

Congrats on not only finishing a sock but a whole pair! They look great.

 
At 4/17/2007 , Blogger Amanda said...

Congratulations! And welcome to the dark side of knitting. ;)

 
At 4/17/2007 , Blogger dawn said...

those turned out great!

 
At 4/17/2007 , Blogger Betsy said...

Yay sister! You ROCK!!

 
At 4/20/2007 , Blogger ZaftigWendy said...

I finally came to look. They're wonderful! It's so cool that you're addicted, too.

It may not be cheaper than addiction to crack, but it's definitely healthier!

 
At 9/17/2007 , Blogger GistOut said...

"knitting socks is like eating potato chips-...."

Cited as quotable metaphors-analogies in Metaphor-Analogy Archive".
Thank you.
http://gistout.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home