Thursday, March 22, 2007

Foxy Boxes

Thank you for all the supportive comments about my fish blanket!!!


I FINALLY finished and felted my Mason*Dixon boxes.

Here's the before felting photo:


After felting :


I feel kind of "eh" about the final result. I'm glad they are finally finished (they'd been sitting around waiting to be seamed and felted for months). They will definitely be used and I guess I'd try it again. Maybe not 3 at a time though.

Project Notes:
1. I followed the directions in the book to a "T" including using the same yarn suggested (Lamb's Pride Bulky). I even crocheted the seams although later read many people just stitched them up.

2. These boxes took FOREVER to felt (I may try to re-felt them). Fellow SnB'er Wendy graciously offered up her top loading washer and expertise since I had never felted before and have a front loading washer. This was the result after nearly 3 hours of trying to felt. The yellow was being a stubborn monkey and didn't want to felt. One suggestion online was to pour boiling water into the boxes to help speed things along-I probably would try that next time. My being a "tight" knitter more than likely didn't help things either.

In other news:

Tis the season for my favorite candies: jelly beans and C@dbury mini-eggs (I even found some dark chocolate ones).

Check out my latest idea for yarn storage:
Yarn Jars!

I bought the jars at a store whose name is similar to "Malfart" and "balled" up some left over yarn I had (wool in one jar, cotton in the other).

OH! Great news!! Here's a sneak peek at my first sock!!! More news on sock knitting coming soon!

5 Comments:

At 3/22/2007 , Blogger Steven said...

Beware the lure of sock knitting -- you WILL become addicted!

Love the boxes, even if they didn't turn out the way you wanted. So front loaders don't felt as well as top loaders? I'll keep that in mind.

 
At 3/22/2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the boxes and your sock is great!!! I can't wait to see it all finished and socky!

 
At 3/22/2007 , Blogger janna said...

The boxes are cute! I'm surprised that the Lamb's Pride Bulky didn't see to want to felt -- my laptop sleeve is made from Lamb's Pride Worsted, and it felted in a flash - about 20 minutes, I think!

 
At 3/23/2007 , Blogger Michelle said...

A sock!!! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!!

I think the boxes are cute, and will be even cuter once you have something in them. The jars look awesome with that yarn.

Ah, another Cadbury luvva. They're so much better than M&Ms.

 
At 3/23/2007 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Woo! First socks!!

Nice boxes. You can always try to felt them some more if you want them to get more felty right?

I bought some of those Cadbury dark mini eggs, and I wasn't impressed. I think I love the mini eggs from Cadbury for the way they make their milk chocolate taste...the dark was OK, but nothing to write home about.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home