Saturday, March 24, 2007

Hill Country for 100

R@chael Ray has her $40 a D@y show, and if I had a show today, its title would have been "Hill Country for $100."

My friend Diane and I started the day at the Country Peddler Show at the Gillespie Fairgrounds. Spent about an hour there buying some goodies and then decided to head into Fredericksburg, Texas to scope out the shops.

I was able to check out their yarn shop, Stonehill Spinning, Ltd .

It was a neat store and had a comfy, cozy small town feel to it. I fell in love with the Manos del Uruguay's Wool yarn but ended up buying some Regia and some DPNs. The best part of the visit was that the sales clerk gave me my space to browse and look around without "hovering."

I also scored a good deal on some yarn at a store called "Things in a Room." It's a store with an ecclectic mix of merchandise, including yarn....at 50% off...it wasn't the best selection (most of it was Knit Picks yarn which I kind of found odd to see there) but I did buy some Ecoknit cotton yarn for $2.50 a skein.

Here are my yarn/needle purchases for today:


Sophie wanted to make sure there wasn't anything in there for her.


I loved walking the streets, before it gets ungodly hot, checking out the different shops and taking in the sites and smell of the Texas Mountain Laurel. The grape kool-aid like scent was heavenly.


We enjoyed a nice lunch at Wheeler's Restaurant and couldn't leave without getting some smoked meat to take home from Opa's . So there it is, my day in the Hill Country for $100. It's amazing how fast the money went!!


Funny story: All day I kept looking for this store called Knitter's Cottage I found online when I had quickly Googled: Fredericksburg + yarn shops. No one seemed to have heard of it when I asked at the different shops. When I came home and looked it up again, I found out it was actually located in Frederickburg, VA! I'm such a dork!

4 Comments:

At 3/25/2007 , Blogger dawn said...

yes, but you are a loveable dork! :)

what a perfect day to spend a hunnerd dollahs.

 
At 3/25/2007 , Blogger Michelle said...

Oh dang, you are so not a dork. I did the same search and came up with Knitter's Cottage too. My mom and I looked for it and never found it. See, you aren't alone!

Your show sounds like even more fun than Rachael's!

 
At 3/26/2007 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Viginia, Texas, hmmm...yeah OK, I'm not sure how they're really the same ;-)

I'd much rather watch you spend money on yarn and suck than Rachael make goo-goo eyes at hotel clerks and waiters looking to score a deal.

 
At 3/26/2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Rachel Ray is so CHEESY. The only other crafty places there I'd visit are this psycho crazy-quilting place (whatever you do, don't touch anything there, at ALL) with neat stuff but weird vibes, and some woven rug place, also weird. Don't feel silly - you GO, you internet-search-queen. They just shouldn't have named the towns the same.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home