I didn't do much knitting over Spring Break. But I did get my 10 fish done for March!
(Note to new readers: I am knitting 10 fish a month til May (after having been on a fish knitting hiatus), I'm planning on knitting a fish a day in May, and will finish the blanket in the summer).
Which brings me to a total of 80 fish knit!!!
I decided to see how they looked laid out to get an idea of how big the blanket was going to be. I've had in my head to knit 160 fish for 10 months now and I don't think I can bear to have to knit more than that.
So..without further ado....
Here are my 80 fish:
The photos aren't the best. I had placed a blanket out on my deck to use as a background and was trying to get the fish laid out and the photo taken before the birds chirping in the trees decided to poo on my fish. You can click on the photos to enlarge and see the fish in more detail.
1. I had a "I MUST Knit This" moment when I saw this blanket (scroll down) last May. I am using a different pattern (after some trial and lots of errors with the original pattern).
2. Each fish takes me about an hour to knit. I'm a knitting tortoise..I know. Slow and steady wins the race...yea right...
3. The "Halfway Blanket" ended up being 25" X 60"-if I double it, it will be a nice sized lap/snuggle blanket.
4. The blanket is making a come back! Knitter's Review recently had a 4 page folder dedicated to this blanket in their "Current Projects" section.
5. Although I do have the original Summer 1998 Knitter's magazine (thanks to EBAY) where the pattern was first published. It can also be found in this recently published book.
6. Knitting universe has a color palette (click on Festive Fish) to help you with placement of colors in your blanket.
7. Check out this Intarsia fish wall hanging.
8. Because I'm usually a day late and a dollar short, of course people are now creating patterns where they are knitting the fish already connected. That would require some planning in order for me to do that and this has become a "fly by the seat of my pants" type of project for me.