Sunday, March 18, 2007

Halfway!

I didn't do much knitting over Spring Break. But I did get my 10 fish done for March!

(Note to new readers: I am knitting 10 fish a month til May (after having been on a fish knitting hiatus), I'm planning on knitting a fish a day in May, and will finish the blanket in the summer).

Which brings me to a total of 80 fish knit!!!

Yippee!!!

I decided to see how they looked laid out to get an idea of how big the blanket was going to be. I've had in my head to knit 160 fish for 10 months now and I don't think I can bear to have to knit more than that.

So..without further ado....

Here are my 80 fish:




The photos aren't the best. I had placed a blanket out on my deck to use as a background and was trying to get the fish laid out and the photo taken before the birds chirping in the trees decided to poo on my fish. You can click on the photos to enlarge and see the fish in more detail.

Fish Info:
1. I had a "I MUST Knit This" moment when I saw this blanket (scroll down) last May. I am using a different pattern (after some trial and lots of errors with the original pattern).
2. Each fish takes me about an hour to knit. I'm a knitting tortoise..I know. Slow and steady wins the race...yea right...
3. The "Halfway Blanket" ended up being 25" X 60"-if I double it, it will be a nice sized lap/snuggle blanket.
4. The blanket is making a come back! Knitter's Review recently had a 4 page folder dedicated to this blanket in their "Current Projects" section.
5. Although I do have the original Summer 1998 Knitter's magazine (thanks to EBAY) where the pattern was first published. It can also be found in this recently published book.
6. Knitting universe has a color palette (click on Festive Fish) to help you with placement of colors in your blanket.
7. Check out this Intarsia fish wall hanging.
8. Because I'm usually a day late and a dollar short, of course people are now creating patterns where they are knitting the fish already connected. That would require some planning in order for me to do that and this has become a "fly by the seat of my pants" type of project for me.

9 Comments:

At 3/18/2007 , Blogger janna said...

I still think I don't want to be around while you're sewing it all together! ;-)

We missed you today!

 
At 3/18/2007 , Blogger Bezzie said...

I'm with Janna! I've got my own fish blanket started, but um, I think my fish are sterile. I've only got like 6 done.

It looks great all laid out!

 
At 3/18/2007 , Blogger Michelle said...

I had no idea what you were doing with those fish when I first saw you working on them. That is going to be one cute blanket!

 
At 3/19/2007 , Blogger Brandy said...

Thanks for the explanation on your blanket! That's going to be such a fun blanket to use.

 
At 3/19/2007 , Blogger Enid said...

here fishy fishy fishy!!!

Miss ya,
enid

 
At 3/20/2007 , Blogger Steven said...

Amy -- awesome! My brother-in-law is a big M.C. Escher fan. He would totally love a fish blanket. Great project and a great job!

 
At 3/20/2007 , Blogger Amanda said...

You are such an inspiration! I need to get to work on my little fishies...maybe a fish a day in april...right now I have bigger fish to fry so to speak...Thanks for all the great links, the color palette will be especially helpful.

 
At 3/21/2007 , Blogger dawn said...

ooh, girlita, i lurv these fish!
i want a show&tell at school
when you complete it.

(can i add your bloglink to mine? i will forget to check in if i don't.)

 
At 4/19/2007 , Blogger Jinjifore said...

Hi!

I'm the insane person who knitted the blanket pictured in the Yarn Harlot's blog, and after a friend pointed me here I thought I'd add some words of fishy encouragement.

For the record, it took me nearly a year to knit the 160 fish. I would knit about fifty or sixty before becoming so sick of fish that I'd have to knit something else. If you want to read the details, I have the yarns and colors and whatnot listed here. Sorry, the server where the pictures are hosted seems to be down.

The color pallette at KU is marvelous. I wish it had been around when I was working on mine.

I'm so glad that not only has the fish blanket had a renaissance, the original pattern has been reprinted. Best of luck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home