Saturday, September 20, 2008

An Affair with Books


Lately I've felt like I've been cheating on my knitting. For some, knitting is their way to relax, ease tension, reduce stress. Often it is like that for me, but in the past few weeks I've turned to reading instead. In the last three weeks I've finished Breaking Dawn, and read 8 Sandpiper Way and The Knitting Circle. I've already written about my thoughts on Breaking Dawn, but really enjoyed the other two books! They were just what I needed to escape the stress and worries of the week(s). Yesterday I started At Home in Mitford, and well, it had me at "hello." I just loved the opening sentences:

He left the coffee-scented warmth of the Main Street Grill and stood for a moment under the green awning. The honest cold of an early mountain spring stung him sharply.

It's just the kind of writing that makes me want to curl up in my favorite chair and read for hours. An "honest cold"..I love that!

I have wondered though, how everyone else keeps track of their pages. I will either use one of those annoying subscription cards in a magazine, an index card, or every once in a while, the jacket of the book. I have to say I don't care for the fancy bookmarks though especially the thick ones made of leather-like material or metal ones. What about you? Do you fold the pages down? Use an official bookmark? Or do you use something less conventional? Inquiring minds want to know! Also, what are you reading these days?

On another note....

We finally had a taste...a sample...of Fall...especially in the mornings this past week! It was a welcome change from the 100 degrees we had last Saturday-no kidding!! I'm so glad I bought a set of instant apple cider last week. I love that stuff-even if its loaded with sugar. Of course it doesn't compare with the hot caramel apple cider at *bucks but will do in a pinch and much cheaper!


I have to mention how good my leftovers were of the soup from last week. It really held its flavor (even on Friday) and hit the spot with some crackers for lunch. I did end up having to add some chicken broth though, the pasta I used soaked up a lot of the broth.

3 Comments:

At 9/20/2008 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Girl you need to get the real cider, nuke it for 2.5 mins and then steep a cinnamon apple herbal tea bag in it. Ta-da! Probably just as expensive as the Motts stuff actually, but less "fake" sugar and more of the "real" appley sugar!!!!

 
At 9/21/2008 , Blogger Calicoknits said...

I am addicted to " book thongs" Basically just a waxed twine with beads at either end. But just the right size and doesn't get lost easily.

 
At 11/11/2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love anything Debbie Macomber or Karen Kingsbury have written, but I will read just about anything. Dee Henderson is another good author. The book that is number on my list right now is The SHACK. Awesome book, can't not share it with those around me.
I find during the school year I read more to relax than knit to relax. But it is definitely time to get knitting those Christmas gifts if they will be a reality. I usually use a book mark that has been paper crafted by a friend, or daughter. When in a pinch, or a new book with no bookmark near me, will fold down the edge of the page.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home