Sunday, September 14, 2008

Soup's On!!


It's baaaaaack!

Now that I'm back at work, the last few weeks felt like something was missing. I was having to really think about what to bring to lunch. Then I remembered I was missing my soups!

I may not make soup EVERY weekend, but more often then not. Plus, it's becoming "soup weather" and I like not having to think about what to bring to lunch a few days a week.

This week's recipe helped use up some chicken breasts from the freezer and fresh herbs from the garden. I also loved that it used fennel-something different!


Italian Chicken Soup

Source: Taste of Home Heartwarming Soups Magazine
Serves: 4-6
Time: Prep 15 minutes, Cook 45


Ingredients:
1 fennel bulb, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups hot water
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme ( I used 1+ tsp fresh)
1/4 teaspoon dried basil ( I used 1+ tsp fresh)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta ( I used 1/2 c. dry Acini de Pepe pasta from a previous recipe)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel fronds

Directions:

In a Dutch oven, saute fennel bulb and onion in oil until fennel is tender.


Add the next seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduced heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Stir in chicken and orzo. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until orzo is tender.

Stir in fennel fronds.


Delizioso!
It was filling and even somewhat healthy (except for the yummy grilled cheese sandwich I ate with it).



3 Comments:

At 9/15/2008 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Yum! And it's starting to be soup weather again!

 
At 9/15/2008 , Blogger J said...

Mmmm! That soup sounds wonderful! I'm so excited, today almost feels like the beginning of fall.

 
At 9/16/2008 , Blogger Michelle said...

Ooh, that does look and sound delish! I can just smell the fennel and onions!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home