Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Picked a Peck of Peppers

Well, not quite a "peck" but enough to make some pickled peppers!


Over a month ago, I decided to go ahead and harvest the peppers from my container garden and try my hand at canning. With the help of a few You Tube videos and the Internet, I canned my first round of peppers (with a few jalapenos thrown in for good measure) and made some Sweet Pickled Banana Peppers -I followed the recipe to a "T" but also gave them a 10 minute water bath. The only draw back is that you are suppose to wait 2 weeks before eating them. I waited the allotted time and tried them out on a hot dog.


If you like sweet relish and sweet pickles-which I do-you'd LOVE these. I really did like them, DH didn't care for them (he doesn't like the sweet pickles/relish anyways).

I tried another batch with much less sugar, waited two weeks and really didn't like the taste-too tangy.

Then I stumbled on a different/more dill-like recipe and made them last week (you can eat them the next day) and oh my goodness-they were awesome! Delicious on a sandwich!!



PICKLED BANANA PEPPERS

3 lbs. banana peppers
6 garlic cloves
6 jalapeno peppers (optional)
1 quart vinegar (5% acidity)
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 to 1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. of dried dill seed
1 Tbsp. dried mustard seed
1/2 tsp. pickling salt

Wash peppers and cut small slit in each pepper (this prevents shriveling) do not cut off the pods. Pack peppers into clean hot pint jars. Add one clove of garlic and one hot pepper to each jar (you don't have to add the hot pepper if you don't like them hot).

Bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Pour hot liquid over peppers in the jars leaving 1/2-inch headway.

Place lids and rings on jars and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Remove from hot water bath and place on counter till cooled. Check to make sure jars have sealed. Refrigerate any that haven't sealed.

My notes:
  • I accidentally doubled the amounts of dill and mustard seed and it was great!
  • I used 1/4 c. of sugar
  • The jar with the added an added habanero was too spicy for DH's taste.
  • These taste like the ones you get at sandwich shops
Even though it took 3 tries before finding exactly what we were looking for, it was worth it! Unfortunately, my plants are starting to produce red peppers like this red jalapeno which is a sign the growing season is coming to an end.


Next year, more banana pepper plants, fewer jalapenos and lots more canning!

1 Comments:

At 9/24/2008 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Delish! Bummer about the jalapenos though!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home