Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Sweater For Sophie

The first request DH made when I took up knitting a few years ago was to knit a sweater for Sophie. When we were at S. Padre over the holiday Sophie was shivering so I bought a cheapie sweater from a discount store. It was a little snug but she loved it.


I decided to finally knit her one when we got back. DH was excited when I told him of my intent, wanted to be a part of it and offered to do the seaming-crazy I know! He sews on a button like no one's business, so I agreed. I also wasn't too concerned since I was only using acrylic yarn.

The sweater knit it up fast and fairly error free with my modifications for her size and the yarn I was using. I finished with the top and underbelly section and was ready for DH to do the seaming.


It was hard to let him do it and we had quite a discussion about his planned method of attack. I tried to tell him about the weaving in of ends and the whole thing about knots. He insisted he knew what he was doing, I was panicking more and more as he progressed.

Knots were formed. "Tacking down" was done. The seams were not good..but they were just the seams and I could live with it.

Then the scissors came out and strings started getting snipped. And then I realized what he had snipped....an unwoven in end..... I was speechless and kept trying to tell him to stop because he didn't realize what he had done. When the ribbing started unraveling I grabbed the sweater back annoyed that I would have to reknit that part, but upon further inspection realized he had used so much yarn in his seaming I couldn't tell the top from the bottom......SIGH..... He picks up on my mood and decided he could fix it. More yarn went on the needle and more "tacking down." I just closed my eyes and tried not to completely lose it. I think at this point he was ready to get duct tape to try and repair his damage. So....here it is:



The top part is fine. The seams are horrendous. The bottom part is slowly unraveling but Sophie loves it! Here's a picture of his handiwork:

As upset as I was, I eventually realized it was only a couple bucks worth of yarn, a fast knit/reknit and one with a story!

Pattern: Easy Dog Sweater
Yarn: Vanna's Choice Solid-Cranberry
Needles: 9/10.5

6 Comments:

At 1/14/2009 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Hee hee! At least he tried! And you have to keep in mind what my hubby always says about my kid and animal knitting--think of your target audience! Sophie doesn't care! She looks warm and fab!

 
At 1/14/2009 , Blogger Enid said...

You model is very cute!!

 
At 1/14/2009 , Blogger janna said...

Cute! (both the sweater and DH wanted to help!) And Bezzie's right -- Sophie's happy! Of course, when the thing starts seriously unraveling, she won't be. Maybe you need to start another one for her right away!

 
At 1/14/2009 , Blogger Betsy said...

LOL that is a funny story, sister! I only wish I could have been there to witness it! :)

 
At 1/15/2009 , Blogger Michelle said...

It truly is cute. And like you said, it has a story. If you animate it, knitters all over would love it.

 
At 2/09/2009 , Blogger Petronella said...

Cute dog - nice sweater :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home