Saturday, September 29, 2007

Sensational Saturday

Being the early bird I am, I was in the car by 7:30 a.m.to start my Saturday morning errands. First stop, gas and coffee, next W @ l m @ r t-I love going there first thing in the a.m. before it gets busy!! Then, I hit the road headed for the farmer's market. Even though my instincts told me to take a longer route in order to avoid construction, I didn't listen and instead hopped on Loop 410 and yes, got stuck in 3 lanes down to 1 lane/detour to access road type of traffic..sigh...but I decided to use the wait time to call Mom up in MN and had a great chat with her (probably wouldn't have called had I not been stuck in traffic). I finally arrived at the farmer's market.

I didn't feel comfortable taking a pic at our intimate Farmer's Market, so this was taken as I drove by on my way out. There were about 10 vendors set up. I bought from 7 of them. Here's my score:

I went with the idea I'd buy what looked good and work with it. Here are my plans, the zucchini will go into soup and some bread, tomatoes and onion will be used on our hamburgers we're grilling today. Cherry tomatoes(the sweetness explodes in your mouth), cukes, and other tomatoes will be used for snacking and salads. The potatoes will be roasted with garlic and rosemary as an accompaniment for steak, the green peppers will be stuffed for a mid-week dinner, and finally the salsa for dipping. I love this time of year at the farmer's market. Since I was in the area (somewhat),I decided to head down to one of our LYS's that I don't get to very often. I knew given the time I'd run that chance it might not be open, but decided to risk it anyways, it wasn't that far out of my way. Sure enough I pulled up and not a car in sight except for a van at the back door, I decided to see what the store hours were and got flagged down by the owner confirming they weren't open yet and wouldn't be for another 45 minutes-bummer. But much to my surprise after some visiting and reassuring her I'd be back another day, she decided to let me in the back as long as I'd be quick so the early bird needle pointers wouldn't get mad because she let me in early-I even had to park behind the building so no one would see my car. What customer service!!! I knew exactly what I wanted (Cascade 220).

I think the fact I knew exactly what I wanted, she loved what I had planned on making with it, and shared my excitement from going to the farmer's market, she decided to let me in. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes withs lots of chatting during that time.
My last stop of the morning was my favorite grocery store which also ended up being a nice relaxing experience-going early is a good thing! Plans for the rest of the day? Well, knit some more on my Everlasting Bagstopper bag.

Even though it looks as if it could rain, we're hoping to grill, and enjoy the rest of the day.Hope you have a good weekend too!

3 Comments:

At 9/30/2007 , Blogger ZaftigWendy said...

Amy, the produce looks gorgeous! Are they open any day besides Saturdays?

 
At 10/01/2007 , Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh boy, Wally world, the farmers market and Yarn Barn? Wow, you hit on my personal fave trifecta there!!!

 
At 10/02/2007 , Blogger Mom said...

What do you mean you probably wouldn't have called me?!? You do almost every week end! Love your blog. You write just like you talk. And it's a great way for me to stay up on where you are.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home